Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Jamestown Settlement, VA




While on a recent business trip to Virginia, I had a morning on my own. Where to go and what to do? I had been to Williamsburg on a prior trip so I decided to go to Jamestown. While there is no actual town that currently exist called Jamestown, the site of the settlement still exists. There is also a living-history museum called Jamestown Settlement that is hugh and has more 17th-centry history than you can handle.

On the outside they have several discovery areas that are recreations of a Powthan Indian Village, James Fort and several replica ships of that era, the Susan Constant, Godspeed and Discovery.
In my photography, I am a people person and love to take pictures of people dressed in costumes of the period. So, I started to the outside. One of the museum docents came out and reminded me there was a whole building full of history and I shouldn't miss it. It was early and they had just opened. I wanted to get to the outside displays and get my pictures before the crowd arrived. I was the only one down there and managed to get my people pics with no distractions. I found the replica ships the most interesting. You will see pictures of Bill who has great knowledge of the ships and how they helped change the world of that time and Gretchen that was willing to pose for this crazy photographer. The Indian village was interesting with the structures but the "indians" didn't look real. The Fort had some interesting displays and the people were great to photograph. (LC)

No comments:

Post a Comment